[espeak-gaeilge] Test of Irish on interactive website

  • From: Ronan McGuirk <ronan.p.mcguirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: espeak-gaeilge <espeak-gaeilge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 16:45:55 +0100

Hi all,

Just to update you on a quick test.

I took an online Irish test at www.gaelchultur.com

This was a 100 question multiple choice web test.

For this activity to work, we needed the eSpeak Irish implementation
to work, the web site to be accessible and the NVDA Irish locale to be
satisfactory.

In summary, this worked well but there are a number of action points.

I inferred from NVDA's behaviour that the website didn't have a lang
parameter i.e. when I set NVDA to Irish , with the automatic language
detection on, it stayed in Irish, even when text was in English, and
vice versa.

So,since the site is predominantly in Irish,  I set the NVDA voice
settings to Irish and I set the NVDA locale to Irish.

1. Pronunciation
I encountered no Irish pronunciation issues.
2. Web accessibility
The site seemed fully accessible, leving aside the language
identification issue.
3. NVDA Locale

The NVDA locale worked very well. It correctly and clearly identified
edit boxes (secure and unsecure, links, headings at various levels,
buttons and radio buttons, ticked and unticked.

I have two queries.  I wonder if feicthe nasc is correct for visited
link?  I could see that this would be a correct translation for
"visited; link", ifthat is what is meant.

2. It currently says "Mór" before a capital letter (This should be
after not before) and also,  it says the sound rather than the name of
the letter. I found it better to set NVDA to raise pitch for capitals.

Actions:

Follow up on NVDA interface queries above

2. See if there is a simple explanation published anywhere, that would
explain the use of the language tag that we could share with web site
owners.

Ronan