[espeak-gaeilge] New eSpeak SAPI working with NVDA and JAWS

  • From: Ronan McGuirk <ronan.p.mcguirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: espeak-gaeilge <espeak-gaeilge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 08:12:53 +0000

Hi all,

Jonathan has applied some updates to the Irish implementation in the
new eSpeak release.

The new eSpeak can be downloaded from
http://espeak.sf.net/test/latest.html

This includes Irish. When this is installing, it will ask you to
choose languages and you need to enter ga for Irish.    it can be used
by NVDA as a SAPI synthesiser (not by the previous espeak-data folder
method with the current version of NVDA). Hopefully, in future,  a new
version of NVDA will use the new release of eSpeak in a similar way to
the existing production eSpeak.

My initial tests of this SAPI version with NVDA are very encouraging.
Some good news  - Cearbhall has managed to get it to work withJAWS.

One thing.... I notice with NVDA is that it doesn't switch languages
automatically from English to Irish or vice versa on a website as
before. This may just be a limitation of SAPI synthesisers.

It seems to be pronouncing capital letters in words with an eclipsis
correctly e.g. in the phrase "i gCorcaigh".

You don't need the workaround of the NVDA Symbols.dic file to get it
to echo letters when typing or using cursor keys. NVDA's echoing of
these keys is not 100% perfect but is very good. I will document
exactly what is going on.

Please let us know how you get on with this new eSpeak release.

Ronan