[Enzo] Day 48 report - Poor Some Sugar on Me!

  • From: "Kelly Groves" <kelly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <enzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 21:53:08 -0700

Day 48

Doctor: Johnny Novales

Nurses: Jeremy (night), Bonnie M. (day)

RT: Charles (night), Pauline (day)

Gestational age: 35 5/7 weeks

Weight: 2265 g or 4 lbs. 15.9 oz.

Length: 45 cm (5/28/14)

FiO2: 24%

Flow: 1.5 LPM on NC

Feeding: 45 ml Q 3 hr. (24 cal breast milk) through NG tube. PO multivitamin
with iron (0.25 mg q 12 hr). Bottle feeding q 6 hr. (night: 40 ml @ 2000, 38 ml
@ 0200. day: 45+ ml @ 1100, 45 ml @ 1700).

New orders:

Other issues: little to no residuals, elimination good, ongoing A/B/D mostly
self-resolved

I know this is getting boring to hear, but we’re happy to report that Enzo had
another good day today.

On the other hand, it was a little rushed for Kelly & Phillip because the night
started with Nicholas’s end-of-year jazz concert, followed by Alexander needing
help on a final project and the computer he was working on crashing hard in the
middle of it. Then, we had the monthly Old Bold Pilots meeting at 6:30 a.m. in
the morning, and Nicholas’s end-of-year band banquet this evening. We made it
to bed by 12:30 a.m. and were back up at 5 a.m. Never a dull moment around here!

Enzo had two awesome, new-to-him nurses today. Overnight, Jeremy was on watch.
He had a little trouble with Enzo pooping out at the end of his nippling, but
otherwise, the night shift was uneventful. Enzo put on a whopping 75 grams (and
1 cm)! So much for worrying about lack of weight gain! Jeremy managed to get
him down to an FiO2 of 24% (except for 30% at feeding). Another small step in
the right direction. At this point, Enzo is literally just a few grams away
from FIVE pounds!

Bonnie and Enzo had quite a fun time getting to know one another this morning.
For one thing, it turns out they both share a love for Def Leppard! Bonnie
decided to skip a feed for nippling since we wouldn’t be there, which turned
out to be fine by Mr. Enzo. He eagerly gulped down every drop in the bottle for
her and Kelly, including the extra few cc’s that had been allotted so that he
didn’t have to strain to get the tail end. We’ll plan on expanding Enzo’s
musical world more tomorrow.

Dr. Johnny gave Enzo a very thorough exam during assessment time. He was very
pleased by Enzo’s progress. We also reiterated to him that we want Enzo to get
his vaccinations when they’re due (assuming we’re still around on June 10th).

Phillip and Kelly came back from lunch to find Bonnie snuggling with Enzo
during his meal. So sweet! Apparently, he’d been fussy and lonely for cuddling.
Kelly worked with him on non-nutritive nippling from then until it was time to
leave to pick up Enzo’s brothers. We were worried this might have tired him
out, but Bonnie reported that he scarfed down his 5 p.m. meal in 25 minutes
flat. Maybe it was the tunes she played for him when she couldn’t be at his
bedside that kept him motivated.

Bonnie also took the initiative to schedule a session for Kelly and Enzo with a
lactation consultant for tomorrow morning during one of the gavage feedings so
we can give Enzo some more directed practice. We can hardly wait!

P.S. Sorry about the lack of photos today. Please check the archives if you
want a reminder of where Enzo’s at now and how far he’s come!