portability of emelFM2 encrypted files

  • From: "Liviu Andronic" <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 19:48:30 +0200

Hello everyone,

I am currently using the Crypt plugin, but run into a portability
issue. At home I am using emelFM2 to encrypt the files, but at work
I'm in a pure Windows environment, and I'd need to have a
decrypt/encrypt Windows binary on the same USB Key. I have couple
related questions:
1. Are emelFM2 encrypted files (using the ARC4 algorithm) compatible
with TinyCrypt? (I have just failed to build tinycrypt_0.42 on Gentoo.
If someone has a suggestion, the error message is at the end.)
2. Is anyone aware of available Windows binaries for TinyCrypt, or of
some Windows utility that handles TinyCrypt files? (If anyone could
tip for MacOS it would be interesting to know.)
3. I have no experience with building on Windows. Could anyone suggest
some straight-forward method of achieving this?
4. And to those that have an understanding of encryption and that have
inspected the code: how secure does the code feel? From my reading [1]
it seems that TinyCrypt wasn't significantly tested.

Thanks in advance,
Liviu

[1] http://linux.wareseeker.com/Miscellaneous/tinycrypt-0.41.zip/324028

========
sh>make  (8081)
gcc -c -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused-function tinycrypt.c -o tinycrypt.o
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused-function tinycrypt.o minilzo/minilzo.o -o tinycrypt
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `minilzo/minilzo.o' is
incompatible with i386 output
make: *** [tinycrypt] Error 1
sh>make (8081) returned '2'

I have installed: dev-libs/lzo-2.02-r1.