Re: maximise filename column when 'hide other pane'

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 10:46:44 +0200

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Would it be possible to make emel automatically maximise the
>> 'Filename' column upon pane*.expand, and then reverting to the old
>> width when switching back to two-pane? Regards
>
> We've looked into this, before.

You're right! I completely forgot of the identical 2010 request. Sorry
for that.

> Yes it would be nice to allocate spare treeview space to the filename column
> instead of to the last-shown column. However we then also need to manage
> other property(ies) e.g. min-width, so that the column isn't the first to be
> resized out of existence when the window size is reduced, for example. Sadly
> there's no API for detecting only manual (dragged) column-width changes, or
> other reasonable work-around that I can find, to allow the minimum to be
> dynamically revised in accord with user's changes.
>
> So, I can't find a reasonable way to do it. Anyone else figured it out?

One solution that we considered at that time was:

On 5/24/10, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  1. make any column automatically resize itself to fit its longest content.
> This is described (by gtk itself) as inefficient for large views, and prone
> to make columns appear 'choppy' (whatever that is?).

Have you got to the point of experimenting with that? I am wondering
if it isn't as bad as it sounds (the 'choppy' thingy). I am not sure
how Thunar handles this exactly, but it always automatically resizes
the column width to accommodate the longest string, and I have never
noticed anything peculiarly out of order even on dirs such as
/usr/bin/.

It may be worth a try. What do you think?
Liviu