Re: emelfm2 disregards environment variables set in .bashrc

  • From: peter kostov <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:23:43 +0200

On 01/26/2012 10:43 AM, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:59:18 +0200
peter kostov<peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 01/26/2012 12:07 AM, tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 00:39:37 +0200
peter kostov<peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:

It echoes the path correctly, the variable is set, but somehow not used.
So if I try to execute a command, an executable that is present in that
PATH, I get
"Failed to execute child process "renderdl" (No such file or directory)."

Is your emelFM2 built with parameter
   NEW_COMMAND=1
?

If so, can you rebuild with (the default)
   NEW_COMMAND=0

and see how that goes?

No, I didn't change that option, it is off (the default):
NEW_COMMAND ?= 0

Oh dear. Command execution relies on glib functionality to find and run
applications in whatever $PATH applies. So this means burrowing into glib
sources to try to find the problem.

The non-default approach relies on glib functionality to a smaller extent, and
is at least somewhat more controllable.  The code you have does not actually
use the full path of the executable (the API documentation is ambiguous about
function args). However the attached replacement file  explicitly uses an
absolute path for executable applications. You might like to substitute this
file (in .../src/command) and check how it works, built with NEW_COMMAND=1.

Replaced that file and ran make again. It compiled only that file:

generating 'objs/src/command/e2_command.deps'
compiling 'src/command/e2_command.c'
linking binary 'emelfm2'
stripping binary 'emelfm2'
peter@peter ~/install/emelfm2-0.8.0 $ make install
installing plugins to prefix '/home/peter/install/emelfm2'
installing emelfm2 to prefix '/home/peter/install/emelfm2'

Unfortunately the problem persists.
Then I decided to make a clean install (just in case) and ran make clean and make uninstall, but in both cases I got an error:
rm: invalid option -- 'd'

Then I replaced 8 occurrences of 'rm -rfd' in Makefile with 'rm -rf' and ran 'make uninstall' and 'make clean', then again 'make' and 'make install'. Everything went fine, but nothing changed.

Just to confirm - when you 'echo $PATH', it does include the directory in which
your unfound application resides ?
Yes.