[EMAS] Re: Some Christmas day non bird sightings

  • From: Bill Steiner <steiner.audubon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wellsteadwest@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 12:03:33 -0500

He's a little stout and I think Isee a whitish jaw ligament behind the
eye. and the margins of the red area are wavy, not straight. I'm gonna go
with a brick-phase Desmognathus ochrophaeus. you got me on the spider.

cheers, Bill

On Fri, Dec 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Doug Johnston <wellsteadwest@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

In this sodden landscape, it was not surprising to find an amphibian
trying to cross the road (why do they?).

I’m guessing that this is a Southern red back salamander, but my ID book
is out of date probably

and this spider caught my eye. I haven’t tried to ID it yet.

Doug

JPEG image

JPEG image