[EMAS] Re: Sandy Mush Gamelands

  • From: Doug Johnston <wellsteadwest@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kirk.gardner1980@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:22:43 -0500

Kirk,

I get out to the Sandy Mush Game Lands as often as I can (less often these days
it seems), so have explored many of the trails out there. I really don’t think
there are any true hot spots. The birding varies with season and location,
depending on what has been planted, whether an area has been recently cleared
or logged and just the normal variation of bird populations between years.

Having said that though, the Bear Creek access can be pretty interesting in May
and June, with the breeding Chats, Prairie warblers and on some years, Blue
winged warblers.
The Cedar Hill ridge trail is a good all weather trail and seems to have a good
number of woodpeckers in the woods, sparrows around the fields in winter etc. -
an interesting mix of habitats over the mile of the trail.
There are so many areas to explore that you could go out there many times and
not have to repeat you steps at all. I am still finding areas that are new to
me.

Be sure to post any sightings on eBird and EMAS when you do visit. The more
information we have on the birds out there the better.

Doug

On Dec 22, 2015, at 6:13 PM, kirk gardner <kirk.gardner1980@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Where are the Hotspots ? I know the ones on ebird, but wanted to see if
anyone knew of better locations.
Thanks