[EMAS] Pine Siskins, First of Season 12-13-15

  • From: alan lenk <adlenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EMAS Listserv <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 15:05:09 +0000 (UTC)

Cam and I were birding the Beaver Ponds, located in the Nat'l Forest near the
Horse Camp off Cold Springs Road,  in western Haywood County,  on Sunday
morning and saw our first Pine Siskins of the season, about eight.  We were
hoping for a variety of sparrows but the Song Sparrow was the most obvious.
There was a sparrow with its legs stretched between two "limbs' we were hoping
might be a Swamp (3rd photo).  I'm throwing in a photo of a shy White-throated
Sparrow taken BLBS while I'm on the subject.
The Beaver Ponds continue to expand across several acres below the horse camp
with numerous ponds having been damned up.  The rodents are felling lots of
trees, some quite large.  The coordinates and elevation are:  35 degrees, 45',
42" N;  82 degrees 58', 57" W;  2780' elevation,  that might aid in finding
them if interested.  I would love to see a beaver there but that's not likely
in the daytime.  Happy Holidays!

Alan LenkAsheville