[EMAS] Re: Lake Julian Franklin's gull

  • From: kirk gardner <kirk.gardner1980@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wellsteadwest@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 22:55:30 -0500

Doug,
Thanks for posting these photos, I believe I saw a pair of FRGU at Lake
Junaluska yesterday. I did not have my camera with me, so I didn't report
them. Both were darker in color, both had noticeable "eye rings," both were
slender, and both had some what of an eye ring.

Hopefully I will see them again in the next couple of days and get photos
for you and others to confirm.

Thanks
On Dec 2, 2015 5:38 PM, "Doug Johnston" <wellsteadwest@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, I do hope that the bird returns to the lake or maybe shows up
locally on another body of water. Time will tell

Below is a photo of the bird, along with a couple of Bonaparte’s gulls. I
have a couple of hundred more photos, but this one is probably the best of
a poor lot.

The group was fairly distant, with the scope affording better views than
the photos I managed. If you look carefully at the bird on the left, you
can make out the well defined hood, eye arcs and size close to that of the
Bonaparte’s.

I was lucky enough to find another Franklin’s gull in Florida this past
week. It was resting on the beach with many Laughing gulls. They allowed
close approach, so i managed some better photos than this time. The
difference between the Laughing and the Franklin’s in bill length/size,
degree of hood on the back of the head and overall size were pretty obvious
when seen close up. This morning I was going through these photos which
made the ID a little faster on this bird.

Doug

JPEG image