[elky] Re: Transmission is going back in...

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 08:11:27 -0500

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  ...but not without a fight:
>

> It's almost in place...but it's about 15 degrees off level
> ("anti-clockwise").
>
> And the tranny jack is just about extended as far as it'll go:
>

> I guess I'll have to lower the car a bit, level the tranny on the jack and
> give it another shot.
>
> I've done a whole lot more:
> http://www.chevyasylum.com/85monte/85monte31.html and it's gettin
> closer.  If I can just get the transmission back in, we'll be over a real
> big hurdle.

That is major progress my friend. And don't think light of it, or take it
for granted. I am not yet physically able to do what you are doing right
now.

On Tuesday, I made the mistake of getting up in the rafters of the garage,
and installing a $10 ceiling fan. I bought it from a store that was going
out of business on the corner by work. Nice commercial, quiet, 4 blade fan.
It will circulate the hot air when the cars pull in the garage. It helps
when Nate is working on his bike too. Well, I haven't been the same since.
Sharp pain between my shoulder blades. I just have to take it easy and hope
I didn't injure anything. I was feeling a lot better till that evening.

I WILL be getting under the Elky this morning to put the ratio converter in
for the speedometer. It's a 14% reduction gear, because I am no longer able
to get the right gears for my ratio. (3.23) I got it in, and something was
wrong with it, and it was locking up. So I sent it back (PATC) and it
arrived yesterday.... but I was off to the concert. This is a 5 minute, one
arm, no jacking job. Then I can drive around with the right speed showing,
and the lockup will not kick in at 30, instead of 40. So far the mileage is
excellent with this transmission. I have to heal before fixing the
u-Joints, and putting the posi in, or just pay to have it done..... and I
am getting real close to doing that.

Pic below, News at 9....

1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net