[elky] Re: Transmission dipstick question

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 20:37:09 -0600

YEP! Yeah. When it woke up, it sounded and felt REAL nice. Motor's a good'un, I think. We'll have to wait for the trans until tomorrow.

Good luck on yer quest.

On 5/13/2012 8:22 PM, John Christensen wrote:
That sounds like a fun 5 minutes to me. I am sure you were able to suffer through the experience. I SAID...... I AM SURE YOU WERE ABLE TO SUFFER THROUGH THE EXPERIENCE. ....

I may have found someone with the down rod I need. I have to take mine out and photograph it, with measurements, to see if it's any different than the one I have first. I'll do that Tuesday morning. If it is different, I may take the Elky on a road trip to see how it does on the highway with the new transmission. The part is 45 min away (at least) in one direction. We'll see.

Still have to get the bracket. Might have to go junkin' Just not sure if I am physically up to that task yet.
JC

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    The seats are a little greenish...but some fabric dye will take
    care of that.  They're in real good shape.  Infinitely better than
    what was in the Camaro previously.

    As I recall Rick Draganowski had a Park Avenue and loved it.  30k
    sounds like a real cream puff.

    I installed a new TH700 filter, buttoned up the trans pan, poured
    a gallon of ATF into it and then ran the car until it would idle
    by itself...about 5 minutes.  I checked the dipstick and the ATF
    just barely showed at the tip.  I poured 2 more quarts into it and
    then....the starter was heat soaked, cuz there's nothing past the
    ends of the shorty headers.  :(  So I've had it for tonite and
    I'll try it again in the morning.  But it's been a productive
    day.  Btw...the motor started after about 6 revolutions...just
    enough to get some gas thru the carb.  It runs rough as a cob til
    it warms up and then it turns into a fire-breathing monster.  I
    should know...I had to breathe its fire all the while it was
    running.  Got my eyes stung a little bit, but all's well now.

    Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting episode.  :)

    On 5/13/2012 5:15 PM, Robert Adams wrote:

                 Those are great looking seats for $10. I gotta work
    on dads new car one day this week. He bought an 02 park avenue
    with under 30K on it. Still looks and feels like a showroom car.
    Only problem is the o-ring on the accumulator is letting the
    refrigerant out. Common problem on that type of connection. 30
    minute fix. Great freeway car.

                     Robert Adams

    On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        The TH700 filter does that.  I just bought a new one, along
        with 2 gallons of ATF.  When I get back from picking up the
        new seats that I scored for the Camaro for $10 (and a race
        seat with 5-point harness for $85) I'll put the tranny back
        together and see if a miracle happens.

        On 5/12/2012 7:02 AM, STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
        <mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx> wrote:
        with the lowered pan did you lower the filter pickup tube to
        access the extra oil area?
        Smokey Mt Frank
        In a message dated 5/12/2012 8:41:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight
        Time, johncgg@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:johncgg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

            I've never been really sure about the reading on that
            stick and at one point, I had to add ATF cuz it just
            wouldn't move.  Obviously, it was low.  But looking at
            this and combining the fact that the ATF and the bottom
            of the pan looked fine (no broken parts, no burned
            smell) I'm just wondering if the problem is just low ATF
            level.