[elky] Re: Summer has started

  • From: Jared Ryan <jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 22:42:57 -0500

The cold front has brought comfortable temperatures but VERY strong winds and
VERY low relative humidities.  Hundreds of homes, most in central Texas but
some just north of the Houston area, have burned.  VERY dangerous fire weather.
 Crews are coming from as far as North Dakota, and Austin has asked for ANYONE
with fire experience to call and come help.

No rain in the forecast for at least two weeks.

I wish people would take it upon themselves to beat the living daylights out of
anybody who flicks a cigarette butt.    Maybe then someone would get the
message.  The fire north of Houston is in piney woods and is "crown hopping",
spreading very fast.  The wind is from the north so there will be smoke over
the Houston area over the next few days, no doubt.

Grimes, Walker and Montgomery Counties are just north and northwest of Houston.
 I drive through Montgomery on my way to Dallas/Ft. Worth and back.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8342579
http://www.khou.com/news/Wildfire-threatening-Renaissance-Festival-grounds-in-Grimes-County-129268548.html
http://www.click2houston.com/news/29086323/detail.html
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/weather/110905-grimes-county-wildfire-evacuations

Those fires are the ones closest to Houston.  The one near Bastrop, in the
central part of the state closer to Austin, has burned almost 500 homes so far
(in TWO DAYS!).