[elky] Re: Sputter

  • From: Chris Lindh <chrislindh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:44:38 -0400

I'm not ruling out ignition, I pulled a plug today and it looked OK.
They get a oil fouled quicker than normal since I gapped the rings
with higher gaps for boost.

Blasting has become easier the more I do it - the one thing I'll do
before the next bag goes in: screen the sand!  I spend a fair amount
of time pulling the gun apart to get pebbles out.

I have decided to do the whole underside with the epoxy, then scuff
for the chassis paint (or 1120 then chassis paint if I decide to use
it).  I want to scuff it since I'm getting some trash in the primer.
I'm not sure where it's coming from - I blow all the sand away - but
since I'm painting outside it could be anything.  Scuffing epoxy
primer is a pain, it's not really made for sanding, as I'm sure you
know.

Ideally the entire underside would get blasted in one day, then I'd
spray the epoxy primer, the 1120, then the chassis paint.  The reality
is I can only get a 2' x 6" section done in a day, and I want primer
on it so it won't flash rust.  I've let the blasted underside go a day
before paint but I don't want to risk any longer.  I'm using the
Harbor Freight gun with these instructions:

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html

You've even got a reference in there... nice.  I'm still learning and
I get the occasional run, but I'm happy with the overall progress.