[elky] OT: went to a blues club last nite....

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:13:36 -0700

...or more accurately, I went to a BBQ joint where blues is played on a regular basis. http://www.patsbbq.com/ It was my first time there, but I doubt that it will be my last. Candye Kane was the performer for the evening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candye_Kane The Wiki article is pretty accurate except for the lack of content regarding her finding a "home" with the blues, although it states that she "discovered" female blues performers when she went back to college in 1986.

She freely admits to a "checkered past" which is quite an understatement. Nonetheless, I've been a fan of hers for a long time (especially her kicking a "hard drug" habit) and had an absolutely wonderful time. I guess I asserted myself as an eccentric pro photographer (and that would be different how? I was the only one there wearing a Nomex Firesuit jacket. <G>) and kinda worked alongside the roaming videographer. The club owner asked me for photos and I had to tell him, "nobody gets photos from Ray the Rat for free," although I told him that I'd be putting an album on FaceBook and one on my own server:
http://www.raytherat.com/events/CandyeKane@PatsBBQ/Welcome.html

The shooting conditions were far from optimal. Most of the available light shots were done at 1/13th, F5 and 3200 ISO. It was pretty damned dark. Then the walls were red (black on the stage) and the ceiling black. And there was this vertical 4x4 in my way, although I just went wherever I wanted to shoot. I used the available light, even if it cut WAY down on the keeper ratio. I got about 1 in 16, which was more than I expected...although some of 'em are flash shots, but not many.

Then I came home and had a pretty decent night's sleep. What a frikkin miracle. Ohh...one other thing: I asked for and received a hug from Candye which just made my damned day completely. I doubt that anybody else would care about that, but it meant a lot to me.