[elky] Re: OT House Circuit Breaker Troubleshooting

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:36:41 -0500

My electrician is good and inexpensive, but he is hard to get to come out
(he actually came out a year ago and we talked about this)... he's happy to
help me figure out things over the phone.  I left him a message Friday and
his wife called and they came Monday morning... I think she's wanting him
to work up some Christmas money.  Long story short he spent 3 hours here
and found:

* The circuit breaker with problems did not have the correct neutral wire
going to it
* One receptacle is bad, neutral broke off from being pulled out
repeatedly, also looked like the wires were nicked, so he taped them
* One outlet box was hidden by having been covered with joint compound -
WHAT?  Why did this happen?

I replaced the bad receptacle and added the new one with a cover.  It was
obvious a receptacle was never installed.  Very odd.  The electrician knew
where to find it because there wasn't an outlet within 6 feet of the door.
Then we could see the shape of it in joint compound.

Very glad the electrician came, I would never have figured it out.  He also
got outlets in my soffit working, which will make running the Christmas
lights much easier this year.  Fingers crossed this problem is solved.  If
it comes back I may replace the receptacles that I haven't already
replaced.  They are the cheap kind and they don't hold up to being pulled
out and pushed in several times.  I like the back wire clamp & screw type.