[elky] Re: Burb's A/C clutch squealing (fixed, I think)

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:43:27 EDT

Good, sounds like a plan.

Smoky Mt. Frank

In a message dated 7/3/2010 12:41:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Apparently I routed the serp belt on the wrong side of  the lower
pulley...the one that's between the compressor and the crank  pulley.  When I
re-routed it and sprayed a little whilte lithium grease  on the pulley's shaft,
the
squealing went away....so far.  For today, I'm  not gonna worry about it.
If it comes back, then I'll look into  replacing the clutch or the whole
compressor or the tensioner.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email
program

On  7/3/2010 8:44 AM, Ray Buck wrote:
When I watched the compressor, I could see that when  the clutch engaged,
the noise started.  This seems to be a definite  possibility.  I'd considered
roughing up the surface of the clutch and  the area it contacts on the
compressor but couldn't think of a way to do  that without inflicting severe
bodily harm on myself...at least while  the motor was running.  I guess I could
try some emery cloth between  the 2 surfaces while the motor was running
and the A/C switched off so that  it didn't engage (I pose I otta make sure
the thing isn't set to  Defrost)...I may try that today since I don't have
anything terribly  pressing.

I guess I really otta read up on compressor replacement  since I've never
done one before.

The thought of taking the  thing to someone else to have them work on it
makes me shudder.

On the smaller pulley thing...the Burb does have a serp belt (which  is
brand new...and the noise isn't coming from it slipping...I thought it  might
be, but observation showed otherwise)  I dunno if there's a  difference in
the Burb's serp belt and a Camaro setup or not.  It might  be something to
consider.  Just for the heck of it, what year range are  these folks using for
replacements?  With 95+ heat (and there's still 3  months to go with a lot
of it on the salt) and all that area inside, it'd be  nice to have something
that pumps out a lotta cold air.  I wouldn't  worry about spinning it too
fast...the motor never gets run over 3500  rpm...maybe 4500 if I'm passing
someone on a hill.  But generally runs  around 2000-2400.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email
program

On  7/2/2010 7:27 AM, Robert Adams wrote:

COuld  be just the clutch not grabbing from wear and noise from it too. But
the  R4 compressors are not real reliable. And for those with serpentine
from a  camaro or caprice use the compressor from a later truck or burb cause
it  has a smaller pulley and spins faster hence moves more refrigerant and
just works better for colder air especially at idle.

Now for compressors  and GM parts check here. SOme great
deals._http://www.oem-surplus.com/gmwp/chevrolet.htm_
(http://www.oem-surplus.com/gmwp/chevrolet.htm)

Robert Adams

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Ray Buck <_rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

If it's not one thing it's  another.  The Burb's A/C compressor clutch is
makin one hell  of a racket (squealing, scraping) when it engages.  It's
worst when  it first fires up, then makes a little noise as it re-engages
periodically.  Not nearly as much after it's been run for a  while.

My guess is that I'm gonna need a new compressor...unless  someone has
something up their sleeve.

Ideas would be  appreciated.