[elky] Re: Birthday

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:53:00 -0600

On 9/22/2011 8:18 PM, Mary McCarthy wrote:
no one told me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAY!!!
Happy Birthday Ray!  Hope you've had a great one.

(You share a birthday with my uncle).
Well, I was trying to avoid it...but apparently Facebook blabbed it and I've been getting BD greetings from a lotta people.  Friends is good.  :)

Thanks...at least we didn't have the kind of day this guy did (well, I know I didn't):

Yes, that's a burning motorcycle.  The rider (Jamie Williams) laid it down on purpose cuz he had a real hot crotch rocket.  It's a turbo Hayabusa with NOS and it blew itself all to hell at mile 5...just as he was starting the timed mile.  He was running around 240.  I heard it go...it made all the wrong noises and then they stopped completely.  He steered it off the course, slowed it down quite a bit and then just laid it down and rolled off it.  The EVs got there very shortly afterward and had the fire out with the first blast from the fire bottle.  Then the course workers spent the next 30 minutes picking up pieces of block, rods, pistons, cylinder head and everything in between.  It went in a very big way.  Here's what it looked like just before he launched:

I had a long, hard day...he had a much worse one.

The coverage on landracing.com starts here:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10297.405.html  I posted at least a dozen photos of the whole thing...all shot at a 35mm equivalent of a 640mm lens, hand held and then blown WAY up cuz I was about a mile from the scene.

Here's a video of the builder (Scott Horner) riding this bike in 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djdAI3khiAA

You'll see a flash of one of my watermarked photos at about 12 seconds into it.  It's ok, they paid me for 'em.

Again, thanks,