[elky] Re: 2nd run and BANG!!!

  • From: Jared Ryan <jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 23:00:34 -0500

It will pole-vault, to an extent. :-)  MythBusters set up that exact scenario,
dropping the front of a driveshaft into a pothole with the car at speed, and
the back end of the air caught some air.  The car won't flip end-over-end but I
call the rear wheels leaving the ground a pole-vault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xobEY7rFZtk&feature=related

That is part 4, showing the conclusion.  The four parts are, in order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZEDoSmiy4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awig0bQekXA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=awig0bQekXA&annotation_id=annotation_80722&v=rda84uA0ujk&feature=iv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xobEY7rFZtk&feature=related

It is also the episode with the 'sploding porta potty. :-)

But the point is, the front of the driveshaft dropping can cause catastrophic
damage and probably injury if it happens at a higher road speed and hits
something in the road just wrong, so the strong loop is a great idea.