[eduos] Address Mapping

  • From: "David Hunt" <rhunt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <eduos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 22:50:56 -0400

I've got EduOS (with slight modifications) up and running and am in the process
of adding syscalls. The problem I'm having is how to pass an address from a
task (e.g. the shell) to the kernel. Obviously, since the task thinks it starts
at 0x0000, any address it passes to the kernel is going to be an offset from
there. Unfortunately, I don't see any way for the kernel to figure out the real
address. Plus there is the potential problem of data crossing a page boundary,
resulting in a string (or other data) spanning non-contiguous addresses. In
this case, simple address translation wouldn't work.

Any ideas on how to handle this?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Hunt

The EduOS home page can be found at: