[edm-announce] **DEADLINE EXTENDED** CFP: ITS workshop: Opportunities for intelligent and adaptive behavior in collaborative learning systems

  • From: "Erin Walker" <erinwalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edm-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:20:10 -0400

**The submission deadline has been extended until APRIL 23, 2010**

With apologies for cross-posting...

Call for Workshop Contributions

Opportunities for intelligent and adaptive behavior in collaborative
learning systems
http://blog.grockit.com/its-collaboration-workshop/

A pre-conference workshop at the Tenth International Conference on
Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS-2010), held at held at Carnegie Mellon
University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, June 14-18, 2010.

Organizers: Ari Bader-Natal  (Grockit, Inc.), Erin Walker  (Carnegie
Mellon University), Carolyn Penstein Rosé  (Carnegie Mellon University)

Intelligent tutoring systems seek to tailor each student?s individual
learning experience, but this need not necessitate that the experience
itself be solitary. A variety of recent systems have demonstrated ways in
which an adaptive learning environment can incorporate and benefit from
the presence of multiple learners. Similarly, students using
computer-supported collaborative learning systems have been shown to
benefit from the introduction of adaptive support that targets the
collaboration. In this workshop, we invite discussion and seek to explore
ways in which the combination of collaborative and intelligent aspects of
a system can benefit the learner by creating a more productive learning
environment.

We recognize, however, that researchers face many challenges when working
with collaborative intelligent learning systems. This workshop will be a
venue for people to discuss lessons learned about the practical
difficulties involved in implementing intelligent support for
collaborative learning and evaluating it in a rigorous manner. We
encourage participants to share findings and theories on how we can
overcome the barriers to developing adaptive support for collaboration in
order to achieve results that a traditional ITS may not be able to offer,
such as increased motivation and social skills in addition to improved
learning outcomes.

One goal of this workshop is for participants to leave with a new set of
ideas surrounding techniques to consider (or avoid) when developing
adaptive support for collaborative learning. In short, we wish to share
knowledge about: What unique challenges do we face in building
collaborative intelligent learning systems? What techniques have we found
to be successful (or unsuccessful) in addressing these challenges? Why?
And how do we know that these systems are worth all this effort?

POTENTIAL TOPICS/THEMES MAY INCLUDE:

MODELING
       ? How can we model effective and ineffective collaboration?
       ? How can we do student modeling in collaborative contexts?
       ? How can we use pre-existing models in creating new ones?
ASSESSMENT
       ? How can we use automated dialogue analysis to assess student
collaboration?
       ? Which existing tools can we use to assess student dialogue?
ASSISTANCE
       ? How can we provide assistance/scaffolding to collaboration within
the context of an intelligent tutoring system?
       ? How can we improve intelligent tutoring feedback using peer input?
       ? How can we intelligently set up conditions conducive to
collaboration?
PLATFORM
       ? What practical lessons can we share about experiences building or
testing these systems?
       ? How can we leverage existing architectures (either intelligent or
collaborative) in building new systems?

PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS:
We invite participation from all researchers interested in the role that
collaboration can play in intelligent tutoring systems, and we encourage
participants to share some of their own experiences and findings with a
demo or a poster (accompanied by a short paper of up to 4 pages), or a
suggestion for a discussion topic (accompanied by a position paper of up
to 2 pages) identifying/describing one of the major challenges that needs
to be met in order for us to move forward as a research community.

Papers should be submitted as PDF files, formatted similar to ITS
conference papers (i.e. using the Springer LNCS LaTeX template or Word
template.) Please address all inquiries related to Full Paper submissions
and Poster submissions to: ari+its@xxxxxxxxxxx

WORKSHOP FORMAT:
The workshop goal is to foster communication regarding the challenges
surrounding the development and evaluation of intelligent collaborative
learning systems. Thus, the workshop will emphasize small and large group
discussions rather than conference-style presentations. It will consist of
three main activities: a poster/demo session, a break-out discussion
session regarding the challenges facing the field, and then a larger group
discussion sharing insights from the break-outs.

POSTER & DEMO SESSION (1 HOUR)
The workshop will begin with a one hour poster and demo session. At the
beginning of the session, all presenters will do a 2 minute
firehouse-style presentation of their work, so that workshop participants
are made aware of all posters and demos in which they may be interested.

SMALL GROUP BREAKOUTS (1 HOUR)
Next, participants will engage in small group break-out sessions organized
around a set of themes drawn from the submitted position papers on the
challenges in the field. Within each group, position paper authors will
describe their papers, and then groups will discuss potential solutions to
the challenges and opportunities for future research and collaboration.
Groups will then prepare to present their conclusions to the rest of the
workshop participants.

LARGE GROUP DISCUSSION (1 HOUR)
Finally, participants will come back together for a large group
discussion. First, one of the position paper authors from each group will
present their theme and an overview of their group discussion, and then a
second person from the group will present an alternate perspective on key
points of interest from the discussion. Each group will field questions
from the other groups. We will conclude with a large group discussion of
all themes.

SUBMISSION INFORMATION:
Send all submissions to Ari Bader-Natal (ari+its@xxxxxxxxxxx).

ORGANIZED BY:
       ? Ari Bader-Natal  (Grockit, Inc.)
       ? Erin Walker  (Carnegie Mellon University)
       ? Carolyn Penstein Rosé  (Carnegie Mellon University)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
       ? Christa Asterhan (University of Pittsburgh)
       ? Roger Azevedo (University of Memphis)
       ? Nilufar Baghaei (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research
Organisation)
       ? Bob Hausmann (Carnegie Learning Inc.)
       ? Ulrich Hoppe (University of Duisburg)
       ? Rose Luckin (University of London)
       ? Bruce McLaren (DFKI ? Saarbrucken/Carnegie Mellon University)
       ? Helen Pain (University of Edinburgh)
       ? Nikol Rummel (University of Freiburg)
       ? Beverly Woolf (University of Massachusetts ? Amherst)

IMPORTANT DATES:
       ? Submission deadline: April 23, 2010
       ? Notification of acceptance: May 15, 2010
       ? Camera-ready deadline: June 1, 2010
       ? Workshop date: TBD

http://blog.grockit.com/its-collaboration-workshop/