[edi581] Re: Why teachers need training.

  • From: "diana romeo" <dromeo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:37:37 -0500

--

--------- Original Message ---------

DATE: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:59:31
From: Wilson B <wlsonb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Hello everyone,
>I was browsing through some of the Rochester City Schools' websites and found
>something disturbing on the East High School website. The have a link to
>student webpages. I thought it might be interesting so I took a look. What I
>found, in my opinion, was very inappropriate material for a school website.
>Take a look for yourselves, and let me know what you think. I wonder what
>their "Acceptable Use Policy" looks like! Or what was the assignment?
>
>Here's a link to one student's webpage:
>(Take a look at his 6 links)
>
>http://students.easthighschool.net/funnydude/
>
>Here's a link to the rest of the students' pages:
>
>http://students.easthighschool.net/
>
>Wilson

>If you have any problems, send an e-mail to:
>   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx

Wilson,
   I did not have time to scan all the student websites, but  also found the
one you put up very disturbing, more because its trivializing of gratuitous
violence toward women than the semi-nudity. I also found some images on
Roberto's site which were not as bad, but also inappropriate for a school
website.
   The shame of it is that this school website is a wonderful, creative outlet
for the students, and some of the things there are very well done. I could be
wrong, because I have not seen the document, but I would bet that these sites
are in clear violation of the A.U.P., and it is not a matter of the A.U.P.
allowing such objectionable material, but of the person or people responsible
for administering the site not being vigilant enough.
   From what I was able to glean, it seems that the staff person in control is
named Lee Har, and his e-mail address is lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Perhaps you
should e-mail him directly about our questions and see what he says. Maybe I
will myself. What do you think. Let me know.
Carl

Enter now for a chance to win a 42" Plasma Television!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda1.com/1/c/563632/113422/313631/313631
AOL users go here:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda1.com/1/c/563632/113422/313631/313631
This offer applies to U.S. Residents Only

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx