[edi581] Plagiarism article review

  • From: KelFede@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:10:44 EST

Hi everyone,
After reading several articles on plagiarism, cheating, and copyright I have
several thoughts...
       First of all I have 2 examples of times where I have witnessed
copyright infringement.  The first time I witnessed this was in my first year
at
college.  I had a friend in one of my psychology classes who had downloaded her
paper off the Internet for one of our assignments.  At the time I was not aware
that this could be done.  As far as I know she did end up getting away with
this.  Another time I witnessed this was with one of my own students who
literally copied an entire article from the Internet and handed it in as his
research
paper.  I had a long talk with the class on plagiarism.  We also discussed
the consequences when doing such an act.
       These actions violated copyright restrictions because in both
situations students were coping other peoples work and pretending as if it were
theirs. They were stealing the passages from other authors as if they had come
up
with the original idea.
       Both assignments could have been done without violating the copyright
restrictions. The two students could have used the ideas from the authors or
quote the authors ideas and then reference them in the paper.  This in turn
would have been OK as long as you reference the material.
       As a teacher, I would definitely structure my assignments in order to
avoid these types of situations.  I require my students to hand in any
outlines or rough draft that they worked on before doing the final copy.  I
also ask
my students to hand in a bibliography just in case I have to go back to check
a specific source if it seems a little fishy.  I think it is essential to have
a talk with your class about plagiarism as soon as you ask them to do any
type of research assignment.  By having this talk they are then at least aware
of
the consequences ahead a time.
       Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!!
Kelly Fede

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx