[edi581] J. Loewke assignment #3

  • From: "Jen Loewke" <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:49:57 -0400

And in This Corner - The 'High-Tech Heretic'!  an interview with Clifford
Stoll.

This article might annoy many educators, but he states facts that are very
true.  First, the "older" teachers are very intimidated by technology and
most refuse to learn and especially use computers in their classrooms.  This
means that they might have nice computers that only collect dust! Second,
Urban school districts have many issues that he addressed.  In our building
alone this year, we have been broken into three times and every time
computers (not very new) have been stolen.  These are by people of the area.
  How are they helping their own neighbors or families?  Also I have seen
computer labs in some buildings.  They are old and many do not work and what
true benefit do they bring to the students?  Lastly, many of the American
students can not read at grade level, write a simple essay, or find
information they need without assistance.  His point is that the computer
deters these things from being accomplished.

I do believe that computers have a viable place in the classroom.  They can
help student interest in learning.  They can help student with special
needs.  They can teach technology skills that will be required in the
workforce.  Computers can create a new means of exploring student thoughts
and creativity.  All this can not be accomplished if the computer is not in
the classroom or collecting dust in the corner.  There is a place for
technology in the schools and it should not be taken away.

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx