[ecidadania-dev] License change

  • From: Oscar Carballal <oscar.carballal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ecidadania-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:26:40 +0200

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking this trough quite some time now, and due to a situation
in my new company I'n going to change the license of e-cidadania to
3-clause BSD.

Why?

- GPLv3 has viric behaviour, it forces to every project that includes our
code to release the new one, and that is not right. We wnat everyone to do
whatever they want with their code, as long as ours remains free

- GPLv3 forbids including code in non GPL projects, even if they're
compatible with the GPL. I've been transigent on this one (there are
projects out there with e-cidadania code) but I can't stand it anymore,
this project is for everyone's benefit, and we don't want "unforeseen
consequences" if someone includes our code, so from now on everyone can use
the code as they want.

- GPLv3 has a lot of restrictions in benefit of pure free software, but not
on community benefits (I had a long talk about this one), and therefore has
a lot of restrictions that I, personally don't want to apply, either
Cidadania or any of my comrades.

So, from now on, e-cidadania will be 3-clause BSD, it will be open enough
so no one has to care about legal stuff, and we still get recognition for
it.

This change is 97% decided, but I would like to know everyone's opinions on
this if possible.

Regards,
Oscar

--