[eccotalk] Whoops! wrong date Walk along Redmires Conduit: Sat.17th Feb. 10am-3pm

  • From: Gordon Ferguson <gordon.ferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eccotalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 11:35:41 +0000

Sorry: Saturday 17th February!

On 05/02/18 11:24, Gordon Ferguson wrote:

Come and join me and Oscar the dog for a walk on Saturday 19th February following the route of the Redmires Conduit, built in the early 1830s to supply drinking water to Sheffield from the newly built Redmires dam.

We will follow the conduit, much of which is still intact, from Crosspool to Redmires, and return via the Porter valley. We will stop for packed lunch at the Redmires dam and also at Forge Dam Café.

Route here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tPJ69Ou5SgKJT6BNIGZg4C9akBU It is 16 kilometres or 10 miles. If this is too long for you, or you need to get back early, you can get the 51 bus back from Lodge Moor, or get buses back from Fulwood from Forge Dam Café.

Attached is a history of the conduit, written when the storage pool at the end of the Conduit in Crookes, opposite the Grindstone Pub, was built on.

Let me know if you intend to join us: we will meet at the top of Endcliffe Glen Road at 10am.

The walk will be cancelled if it is raining or heavy rain is forecast.

Gordon