[eccotalk] Re: Scam

  • From: Gordon Ferguson <gordon.ferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eccotalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 16:52:11 +0100

If you get a text or email with a link in it and you are not ABSOLUTELY sure where it is from - e.g. someone has told you that they are sending you a link such as a parcel delivery reminder that you know about, NEVER use the link. Scammers are very good at making messages look authentic.

If you are unsure about a link, e.g. for a message from your bank, go to your web browser and use the address you normally use, either from a bookmark, or by typing it in yourself. Or ring whoever they say they are with your normal telephone number - NOT any numbers in the text or email. If it turns out that the message was genuine, just apologise - they should accept your apology and be pleased that you are being careful.

Most organisations will tell you when they send you a message - e.g. some sort of warning, to login to your service in your normal manner, and not provide any links.

You will have seen several messages from the police neighbourhood watch service telling you about all sorts of scams - do heed them carefully.

Gordon

On 27/09/2020 15:15, Marguerite Gold (Redacted sender drmgold for DMARC) wrote:

Thanks Moira. M

Sent from my iPad

On 27 Sep 2020, at 13:42, Moira Priestman <moirapriestman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

Just to let you know that I received a text this morning claiming to be from
the HMRC and telling me that I had a tax rebate due and to press on the link.
Think it's a scam as I have no rebate due.  Didn't press on the link to find
out!

Moira