[eccotalk] Fwd: [New post] Celebrating Sheffield Doc/Fest’s success story

  • From: Gordon Ferguson <gordon.ferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ECCO Talk <eccotalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 16:43:21 +0100

WordPress.com
Central Officer posted: "Doc/Fest’s 25th edition kicks off on Thursday 7 June, and the organisers are putting the city of Sheffield at the heart of its success. Now, with the city in the running for a creative hub for Channel 4, Doc/Fest organisers will be welcoming the broadcas"

   New post on *Central Sheffield*

<https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/author/centralofficer/>

   Celebrating Sheffield Doc/Fest’s success story

<https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/2018/06/06/celebrating-sheffield-doc-fests-success-story/>

by Central Officer <https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/author/centralofficer/>

Doc/Fest’s 25th edition kicks off on Thursday 7 June, and the organisers are putting the city of Sheffield at the heart of its success.

Now, with the city in the running for a creative hub for Channel 4, Doc/Fest organisers will be welcoming the broadcaster which has involvement in several of this year’s documentaries and events.

Doc/Fest CEO and Festival Director Liz McIntyre said: “Sheffield is city of makers, always innovating and disrupting the status quo. Sheffield is also a city of glorious festivals, including Doc/Fest – a magnet for both emerging talent and media industry greats. Through our celebration of diversity and inclusiveness, both our city and Doc/Fest are at the heart of creating opportunity and inspiring new ways to see the world.”

Last year, Sheffield City Council signed a new three-year funding agreement with Doc/Fest, an event which brings in more than £1.85m to the city each year.

Doc/Fest is a world leading and the UK’s premier documentary festival for the art and business of all factual programme making, taking place across 25 venues and attracting around 3,300 delegates each year from more than 55 countries.

In 2017 more than 36,000 members of the public also enjoyed the eclectic range of films, talks and other events on offer at Doc/Fest, viewing more than 180 documentaries over six days.

The 25^th edition will open at City Hall with the world premiere of Sean McAllister’s new film /A Northern Soul/ made for BBC Two with support from BFI and Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

During the festival audiences will have a chance of a sneak peek at two highly anticipated Channel 4 films /Three Identical Strangers/ and /The/ /Ballymurphy Precedent, /while at the Alternate Realities Exhibition in Trafalgar Warehouse, audiences can look at Channel 4’s first ever virtual reality project, /Grenfell: Our Home/.

On the streets of Sheffield, artist Richard DeDominici will be filming a ‘Redux’ remake of scenes from the acclaimed Sheffield drama /Threads/, taking place in the original locations across the city, with local people invited to take part. This year’s Doc/Fest once again features a huge line-up of 200 documentaries and big-name talent, both home-grown and from around the world, including a record number of 37 world premieres.

Channel 4 will be participating throughout the festival, which has its opening night on June 7.

Councillor Mazher Iqbal, cabinet member for business and investment at Sheffield City Council, said: “The success of Doc/Fest is a great example of Sheffield’s cultural offer.

“It is one of the best and longest-established film festivals in the world, nurturing new talent and relationships, and a festival that we are proud to say is Made In Sheffield.

“We can’t wait for Doc/Fest to arrive in our city once again.”

In addition to financial support, Marketing Sheffield’s Convention Bureau team has worked closely with the festival organisers over the last 25 years supporting with event co-ordination and overseeing relationships with other key partners in the city, such as hotels.

1229057_Elizabeth-McIntyre

2017 Sheffield International Documentary Festival

*Central Officer <https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/author/centralofficer/>* | June 6, 2018 at 3:13 pm | Categories: Events / Festivals <https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/category/events-festivals/>, Uncategorized <https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/> | URL: https://wp.me/p3Y4mZ-1Xj

Comment <https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/2018/06/06/celebrating-sheffield-doc-fests-success-story/#respond> See all comments <https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/2018/06/06/celebrating-sheffield-doc-fests-success-story/#comments> Like <https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/2018/06/06/celebrating-sheffield-doc-fests-success-story/?like_actor=21378908&like_hmac=27dee909b24518751254448d95104ec4&postid=7521&like=1&source=sub_email>

*Trouble clicking?* Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
https://centralsheffield.wordpress.com/2018/06/06/celebrating-sheffield-doc-fests-success-story/

Thanks for flying with WordPress.com <https://wordpress.com>