[ebooktalk] "Strumpet City" by James Plunkett

  • From: "Pele West" <pele.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:21:57 +0100

Hi Everyone

Those of you on another list will know that I have been trying to get a copy of
"Strumpet City" by James Plunkett, as I think it is a terrific book. There is
an
RNIB Talking Book version read by Robert Gladwell, but he struggles with the
Irish accent and sounds as though he has to take a run at every sentence.

Today Shell has found me a .txt copy, which is great.

Below is a synopsis. If anyone wants it, I can send it to the list.

Strumpet City by James Plunkett
Set in Dublin during the Lockout of 1913, Strumpet City is a panoramic novel of
city life. It embraces a wide range of social milieux, from the miseries of the
tenements to the cultivated, bourgeois Bradshaws. It introduces a memorable
cast of characters: the main protagonist, Fitz, a model of the hard-working,
loyal and abused trade unionist; the isolated, well-meaning and ineffectual Fr
O'Connor; the wretched and destitute Rashers Tierney. In the background
hovers the enormous shadow of Jim Larkin, Plunkett's real-life hero. Strumpet
City's popularity derives from its realism and its naturalistic presentation of
traumatic historical events. There are clear heroes and villains. The book is
informed by a sense of moral outrage at the treatment of the locked-out trade
unionists, the indifference and evasion of the city's clergy and middle class
and the squalor and degradation of the tenement slums.

Pele