[dwd-discuss] CD-rom using Dreamweaver..?

  • From: Jim Morrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dwd-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 12:41:13 +0100

Hi helpful people..!

Brief:
I'm to produce a CD-rom for a tile company. It is to run on both macs and
PCs. It will contain a large amount of bitmap images, many of which the
client wants scrollable on a single page. The user will have the option of
selecting and building a list of products they are interested in, which will
then be emailed to the client for sample delivery.

Issues:
Being a CD-rom, I initally thought flash would be the answer. I don't know
director at all, and besides, I don't own a copy. Although Flash does not
handle large amounts of bitmaps in a scrollable format very well at all.
Yet I think flash is the easiest way to produce an offline 'shopping cart'
like sample ordering system to build the form to be mailed to the client.
Yet posting this from from inside a standalone projector appears to be
impossible. There are some utilities (flash jester, Northcode) that claim to
have this functionality. But its seems pretty complex and doesn't support
mac's.

Proposed solution:
Build the CD-rom as a hybrid of html and Flash in Dreamweaver, therefore
allowing frames for all the bitmaps to scroll within. And running within a
browser window (which I would set to be full screen so as top give the
impresion of a cd-rom interactive), I could use my current cgi script to
process the flash form (GET url i think?).
I would set an auto-run on the pc to launch IE and take over the full
screen.. so even if it doesn't seem like the most professional cd-rom
solution, the user shouldn't know the difference.

A rough layout and proposed user work flow is offered below

Opinion request:
What do you people think of this solution..? what issues can you see
arising..? Do you have any advice to ease the journey ? (I'm an actionscript
newbie)
Dreamweaver has never been touted as a cd-rom presentation tool. So i'm a
little weary that I may run into some severe downfalls.

This project is quite extensive in its content, so I really want to nail the
method right from the start. Any help you could offer would save days,
weeks, months of my life.

Thanks all for reading.
Jim Morrison
Kiwi in London