[duxuser] Re: special braille symbols

  • From: FinaCurrey <fcurrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:46:57 -0600

Hi George,

Well, I feel, and so do at least five other people to whom i posed the question about special symbols, that the simpler the braille codes and signs are, the better. In other wards, many of them said the opening and closing indicators are very frustrating to wade through and I tend to agree. I usually use the dot 4 for the at sign and the dots 4-6 for the periods. I don't, i must admit, know what the computer code for backslash or tilde are. I can see why that kind of stuff needs to be addressed but having all this opening and closing indicator stuff is totally unnecessary.

My concern too, is that if we're trying to keep braille alive and are trying to encourrage people losing their sight and yes, even those who already know braille, to keep using it, that they may decide it's to much of an effort to wade through all that computer braille stuff. As I told Warren, I had to struggle through learning braille in a short amount of time and for the most part, had to teach myself how to read grade 2. I must say that if i had to contend with computer braille as well as the contracted braille, I would have put the books down and forgotten about trying to learn it.

Thanks for reading and have a nice evening.

Respectfully,
Fina B. Currey
fcurrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Fina B. Currey