[duxuser] questions about outlines and style codes

  • From: "Douglas Richard Dexheimer" <drichardd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 19:56:36 -0500

Hi list.  May I ask some questions about formatting?
I'm not sure how to generate an outline in Duxbury. When I import the document out of Word into DBT and select the "standard literary text" template, the carriage returns in Word are treated as paragraph indentations in DBT. Titles, headings, sentences and all are preceded by a style code called "Para.", short for "paragraph", meaning each line or major division is indented to the third cell. When I select the entire document (or a portion thereof) and insert the "outline" code, major headings or divisions begin in the left margin, with runovers in cell 5--not a typical outline layout where successive divisions are indented two successive cells to the right.
Which template is best for formatting or generating an outline format?
I noticed that if I manually insert a style code at a particular location in a document using the "select style or code" dialog, the code is inserted only there; DBT doesn't remember to automatically insert it at each similar location throughout the document. For example, if I insert H1 before one heading, only that heading is affected; the others only begin with the "para." style code, which DBT inserts by default after I import the file out of Word and select "standard literary". Is there a way to get DBT to automatically insert a particular code at each appropriate location throughout the file, so I don't need to search through it and insert them repeatedly by hand? If there's a way to auto-insert these codes at each applicable location, it would speed up my work. Should I change something in Word or in a Word file, such as the carriage returns or tab stops, etc.? That too might involve additional time-taking manual insertions or editing.
Thanks for any advice you can supply.
?  Douglas Richard Dexheimer
  Chief of Braille Production
    Born Again Productions