[duxuser] Re: nonbreaking spaces

  • From: Susan <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:44:14 -0600

I'd be very hesitant about using the nonbreaking (hard) spaces very
often, as you could very easily end up with a mess (which is true in
both Word and DBT). For example, if you replace all soft spaces with a
nonbreaking space, you end up with each line ending in cell 40 with
whatever happens to end there ... meaning words are divided wherever
cell 40 happens. If the nonbreaking space happens to fall in the first
cell of the next line, you will end up with your paragraph runover one
cell in further than you want.

In reality, you could be spending more time fixing the mess, than if you
would add the spaces where you need them once you are in the braille
document and know for sure how everything is laid out.

Susan

George Bell wrote on 3/17/2004, 8:41 PM:

Hi Susan,

Many thanks for coming to the rescue with that solution.
Is this a case of a search and replace in Word, where one specifically
wants to keep spaces, or do we dare ask Mr SWIFT if he can provide an
option?

Playing the D.A. again, my guess is that users are going to want an
option within one document such that there is no possible rule that can
be applied.

George Bell.