[duxuser] Re: from PDF to Braille

  • From: "Rasmussen, Lloyd" <lras@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:43:03 -0400

I have used Omnipage to create Word documents from PDF.  Considerable cleanup
would be necessary.

I have also found another method to extract some of the information from a PDF,
which does not require special software beyond MS Office.  I use Window-Eyes,
but you could probably use JAWS or NVDA to help with this, as well.  I set up
the reading options for Adobe Reader so that only one page at a time is shown
in the virtual buffer.  I go to the page I want to start on.  I start up Word
with an empty document.  Switch back to Adobe Reader.  Turn Autoload off.  For
Window-Eyes, the keystroke is Insert-A, while the virtual (browse) buffer is
displaying a page.  Turn off Browse mode and leave it off (ctrl-shift-A for
Window-Eyes; Insert-Z for JAWS or NVDA).   Pressing Ctrl-A selects the contents
of that page.  Ctrl-C puts this on the Windows Clipboard.  Alt-Tab to your Word
document and paste into it with Ctrl-V.  Sometimes it will say "paste options",
but I use the default behavior.  Switch back to Adobe Reader.  Press Spacebar
for the next page, ctrl-A, ctrl-C, back to Word, Paste, etc. for as many pages
as you will need.

I don't know how well this works when you have tables or even headings.  Each
line in the PDF will be a paragraph in Word.  Bold and italic attributes of the
fonts will appear in the Word file.  The reading order is not the same as any
of the orders you will see in Adobe Reader. This is a lot of work, and I'm not
sure how applicable it is to various PDF files. If you can get the original
source material, you will probably still be better off. I am only saying that
this is an alternative, in addition to the "save as accessible text" option, or
using cut and paste from the browse buffer. In any case, you will have to do a
lot of cleanup before you have a presentable braille document.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Library of Congress, NLS.