[duxuser] Re: Very Minor Annoyance

  • From: "Wayne Weismann" <wweisman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 02:17:55 +1000

Hi Barbara,

I think I can say without fear of contradiction, that your screen reader is
where you need to look to disable the speaking of this graphic. Sure, the
graphic will still appear in the dialog; you won't be able to remove it.

I cannot offer help with screen readers other than JAWS, but I dare say it will
occur and can be disabled in WindowEyes etc.

In JAWS, you will most likely be hearing the word graphic followed by a
meaningless number? You will possibly encounter it while working in other
programs as well. This is because the reading of graphics is set to All; it
identifies the graphics so you can label them with the JAWS Graphics labeller.
I would disable it for all programs, because you can set it to all in the
verbosity menu if you need to explore and label graphics in a new program that
doesn't work intuitively.

While in DBT do the following:

1. Press Insert + F2, arrow down to and open the Configuration Manager. This
will open the WinDBT configuration file; if it doesn't exist, you will be
prompted to create it; don't create it if you want the change to apply to all
programs;

2. If the WinDBT file is open and you want to open the Default file, press
Control + Shift + D, otherwise, skip this step;

3. From the Set menu Alt + S, choose and open Graphics and Symbols;

4. As you tab, you will find a Graphics Mode checkbox which will most likely be
unchecked. The next tab control is a set of radio buttons where you want to
make the change;

5. Arrow up and down until you find the button that says Labelled;

6. Close the dialog with Enter;

7. Close the program and say Yes to the prompt to save changes.

My apology for the non-brevity of this post (particularly if you're not using
JAWS).

Regards
Wayne