[duxuser] Re: The feel of Braille dots

  • From: Elizabeth Slaughter <manutips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:49:34 -0500

HI,

we produce braille graphics for our braille large print greeting cards. i am sure the roughness of the dots are frustrating in text. however, i sure wish i had your frustration!!!!

our enterprise is one of a labor of love. hence, we cannot purchase an up to date, even, a relatively older, but reliable braille embosser for the purpose. therefore, we are winging it on a 40-year-old braille blazer with windows ten.

we are encountering all sort of problems configuring this device to our windows ten pc, and because quicktac is not technically supported by duxbury, there is no help provided to assist us. quicktac is a graphics program, but sighted people must do much of the creative work, because the program cannot be used solely by a blind person.

if anyone wishes to toss their braille embosser, or even lend it for a very special, treasured project, we would be grateful to experiment with it in hopes of producing braille graphics for our customers and consumers.

elizabeth

manutips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 9/28/2016 12:33 PM, Scherer, David wrote:

Yes - replace your Tiger Max embosser! I have the same problem and have not been able to resolve it. There are ways to change the height of the dots, but the roughness remains. I am hoping to replace my Tiger Max soon. I prefer the Index BasicD v5 embosser.

To change the dot height go to the embosser print properties, Tiger setting, and click on the height you want. It is set on normal by default. However, as mentioned, this will not solve the roughness problem. I think this is an embosser issue. The Tiger Max is good for graphics, and the dots are smoother for graphics, but for regular braille, they are not smooth.

I hope this helps.

David Scherer

Washoe County School District

Reno, NV