[duxuser] Re: Nemeth and Duxbury

  • From: Sean J Keegan <skeegan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:50:33 -0700

Hi Sue,

We do a fair number of math and science materials right now and use several different applications. For the immediate future, we are using Scientific Notebook to prepare the text and math content and then import this into Duxbury as Tex/LaTex. Then we do the translation to Nemeth. However, not everything always converts correctly and we review the Nemeth conversions for accuracy.

What we have found is that there are generally issues with how some symbols (fractions, vectors, matrices, etc.) are represented as well as how they are positioned in the DXB view. For instance, with matrices, we find that there are issues with how determinants are specified in Scientific Notebook as well as the vertical alignment of the matrix in the DXB view. This requires us to go back and make corrections either in Scientific Notebook or Duxbury.

So, the short answer is that while can be helpful, I would not rely on the automatic translation from Scientific Notebook to Nemeth via Duxbury without reviewing the final content. We also tried "back-translations" from the Nemeth DXB to DXP (mostly just for fun and to see what happens). My experience is similar to yours; once you go to the DXB/Nemeth version you are done and there is no "back-translation" to check your work.

Scientific Notebook 5.5 (http://www.mackichan.com/) is basically a Tex/LaTex editor - think of it as a word processing application that can also do math. When working in the application, text content is "black" and math content is "red"; you need to switch between math and text mode when entering the content.

Good luck. I keep hoping the process will become easier, but from what I have been experiencing, Nemeth translation seems like it has become more difficult in the last year or so.

Take care,
Sean

Susan Riddle wrote:
Hello, everyone. I am trying to produce Braille documents (workbooks) that are math and science using the Duxbury 10.7 software and a Juliet Pro60 embosser. I am VERY new to all of this, and my Nemeth skills are shaky at best. What is the best way to start? The teachers I'm working with want me to do the "math part", in other words, enter all the numbers with six-key entry after the document has been translated into Braille, and do the formatting later. It seems to me that this won't work, as there is no way I know of to go back to print once a document has been translated. They feel it is necessary to check my math work and would like to do it before they leave for the summer break. I have several books that need to be done, and I see no possible way that this task can be accomplished as they have laid it out. How much of the actual math should the Duxbury program be able to translate without my having to do six-key entry? Many people I've spoken with about this so far are saying that Duxbury does not translate Nemeth very well.

Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I want to do the best possible job for our student in the most efficient manner possible, I'm just not sure how to begin.

Sue Riddle
Materials Handler/Braillist
VI Department
ext. 363-6698
Check out our District website: www.cps-k12.org ( http://www.cps-k12.org/ )
Check out our Public Dashboard: https://dashboard.cps-k12.org/dashboard/public/
Check out our Social Media site: http://www.iamcps.org/

begin:vcard
fn:Sean Keegan
n:Keegan;Sean
org:Stanford University;Office of Accessible Education
adr;dom:;;563 Salvatierra Walk;Stanford;CA;94305
email;internet:skeegan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Associate Director, Assistive Technology
tel;work:650-725-6173
tel;fax:650-725-5301
url:http://www.stanford.edu/group/OAE
version:2.1