[duxuser] Re: Importing Braille into Duxbury

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:06:48 -0400

George,

I like the idea of a portable braille file, and I agree that it could be done pretty easily. You would have to make sure that the software that reads the file would send the correct escape sequences to the embosser for controlling line length and page depth. Perhaps a minor rats' nest, but not really all that bad <grin>.

Steve

On Monday 6/16/03 18:26 George Bell wrote:

Hi Steve, (And Johan)

I'm sorry to be blunt and perhaps out of order here, but as
a very nice lady member of the list recently said, she liked
me because I said it as it is.  So I'm going to do much the
same again.

Basically .brf files are a rat's nest, and as meaningful to
the uninitiated as the chemistry of the planet Mars.

If you do not know what the .brf file was formatted for, in
terms of characters per line, and lines per page, you will
struggle to start with.

I have been advocating for many moons now to develop a .pbf
type file from Braille translators.

Many of you know of the dreaded .pdf, which means Portable
Document File.  So why not a Portable Braille File, or .pbf?

It's not rocket science, for pity's sake!

What I am suggesting is simply a means whereby a braille
file can be created, which contains all the pertinent
information required, to print it on a wide variety of
braille embossers.

The file would contain information such as:-

Make and model of original embosser.
Cells/characters per line.
Lines per page.

And ideally,

Width and depth of paper used.

Now O.K., in the USA you end to use 25 lines per page on 11
inch deep paper, where much of Europe uses 28-29 lines on 12
inch deep paper.  Not a problem, we here in Europe can at
least print American originated files.

In reverse, at least the originator of the document in
Europe, knowing they are creating a file for International
usage, could re-translate for the 25 line/11 inch standard.

I'll let you all ponder on this concept.

George Bell.