[duxuser] Hint for people with braille displays using JAWS

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:00:04 -0400

Hello Listers:

When I got my braille display, I found that text was not displayed in
a uniform way when I read it on the braille display.  This included
Word, WordPerfect and DBT.  I contacted the Tech Support at Freedom
Scientific and they suggested the following:

Open the JAWS Configuration Manager.  You can do this by pressing the
key combination <INSERT+F2> then choosing Configuration Manager from
the list or, you can use the short cut key combination <insert+f6>.

Load the Default Configuration file called "DEFAULT.JCF".  You can do
this either from the list in the "open File" dialog box, which can be
found under the "File" menu or, you can use the short cut key
combination <CTRL+SHIFT+D> to load the "DEFAULT.JCF" file.  When the
file is loaded, JAWS says "DEFAULT.JCF - JAWS Configuration Manager".

Press the key combination <ALT+S> to open the "Set Options" menu.  You
need to open the "Advanced" dialog box.  You can do this either by
pressing the <UP ARROW> key once followed by pressing the <ENTER> key
or, you can open the "Advanced" dialog box by pressing the letter <A>
key.

Press the <TAB> key until jaws says "Pixels per space" followed by a
number.  If the value has not been changed since JAWS was installed,
then the default value for the number of pixels is 8.

Type the number 99 to set the number of pixels to be the new value.
You may have to experiment with different values depending on your
braille display.  Although the tech support person I spoke to said
that 99 pixels per space seemed to be the best setting they found to
work.

Press the <TAB> key until you get to the OK button.  Press the <ENTER>
Key to exit the "Advanced" dialog box and close the "Set Options"
menu.

Press the key combination <CTRL+S> to save the "DEFAULT.JCF" file to
disk with the new setting.

Press the key combination <ALT+F4> to close the Configuration Manager.
You will be returned to your original location within Windows.

I hope that the above suggestions work for you as they have for me
since 2000.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber