[duxuser] Re: Dux 10.5 Organizational/Institutional Users...

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:12:04 +0100

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the list, and let's hope we'll be able to help
one way and the other, and of course try to allay your
worries.

I guess you are among the first to be supplied with a
network type license, and unfortunately it seems, minus the
full installation booklet.  My apologies for this on behalf
of Duxbury.  Production of both print and braille versions
just didn't quite keep pace with the release.

However, the Installation booklet will in fact be a hard
copy of what is explained in DBT's Help, in the Installation
Section near the top.

I have the network installation installed here on a Windows
2003 Enterprise Server with a mixture of workstations from
XP Professional to Windows 98, so allow me to explain the
process as best I can albeit without knowing your system
structure.

The network version you have purchased will in allow you to
run up 5 concurrent sessions at any one time, and from ANY
workstation on your network.

First, you need to install DBT on the Server.  This is
performed in exactly the same way as a single-user copy.
Your Server administrator will need to determine which drive
to install it on, but that drive must be accessible from all
workstations which need to run DBT.

There is however one exception during a networked activation
- The User Count.

If you wish to have all five licenses available on the
system, you may enter a User Count (in your case) of up to
five.  On the other hand, you may divide the count up
between Server and stand-alone installations.  For example,
you might wish to have DBT installed separately on the
laptops of two members of staff who are not networked, with
two licenses on the Server, and perhaps one kept as a spare
for later.

Now, on each workstation where you wish to run DBT, you need
to run a NETINST.EXE program as follows.

Log on to the workstation with an account such as,
"administrator" which has permissions to install software.

Locate the NETINST.EXE program which is located in the
\\[servername]\duxbury\NetTools folder, and run it.  This
will proceed in much the same way as installing from the CD.

Repeat this process for all workstations where you wish to
have access to DBT.

All being well, when you now run DBT, the initial splash
screen will give a user count of say "1 of 2 users", "2 of 2
users", or if you exceed the installed count, something
along the lines of, "User count Exceeded, try later".

Let's suppose you decide that you want to use the spare
license and have up to three users run DBT from
workstations.  Simply go through the activation process
again from the "Help: About DBT" dialog, but enter a User
Count of 3.  DBT's Activation Server should recognise your
installation and amend the count accordingly for 2 to 3.

As regards any standalone systems, simply use the DBT CD to
install, and when activating, enter a user Count of 1.

Speaking from personal experience, and as the UK main
Duxbury dealer, this method offers a great deal of
flexibility, especially where individual users may require
access from a number of different systems around the campus.
And yet it also allows for off campus use by staff who
perhaps travel with lap-tops and such like.

I'm sure the above will prompt more questions, but do please
feel free to ask.

Kindest regards.

George Bell.

Jeff
> Sent: 20 September 2004 00:55
> To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxuser] Dux 10.5 Organizational/Institutional
Users...

> Hello Dux List,
>
> I would like to briefly introduce myself as a new Duxbury
> organizational/institutional user.  My name is Jeff Senge
and
> I work as the Information & Computer Access Program
> Coordinator at California State University, Fullerton.  We

> have just switched from Mega Dots (which I personally like
> lot), to DBT 10.5, campus-wide with the purchase of an
> organizational/institutional license.  I would be
interested
> in hearing from others who administer DBT across
> organizations and institutions.
>
> So far I have been kind of shocked to learn, if I have
this
> right, I can only install the organizational/institutional

> license on five computers on our campus.  This was a shock
> me because I bought the organizational/institutional
license
> so I could install it on say up to about 25 machines
across
> our campus.  Realistically, I doubt more than two people
> would ever be using it at the same time but to distribute
the
> installations to best serve the students and staff, more
than
> five installations will be needed.  I'm waiting to hear
back
> from the Duxbury folks on this but according to the
> information I get back when I activate the product, it
sure
> looks like five activations is my limit.
>
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here and I would
> appreciate it of anyone on this list could give me more
> accurate information about the
organizational/institutional
> license activation count.  I'm not trying to throw fuel on

> the activation limit fire, just trying to learn exactly
how
> this activation thing works with regard to
> organizational/institutional licenses.
>
> All for now...
>
> Jeff
>
> Jeffrey C. Senge
> Information & Computer Access Program Coordinator
California
> State University, Fullerton
> (714) 278-7253
> jsenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> * as the subject to <duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You
may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other
subscription
> * options by visiting //www.freelists.org.  The list
archive
http://www.duxburysystems.com