[duxuser] Create a New Template - was Centering paragraphs

  • From: "George Bell" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:03:32 +0100

Hi Paul,

I've changed the subject, since as well as hopefully answering your =
question, I'm probably also effectively drafting a new Help topic for a =
future version of DBT at the same time.  I hope I've got this correct, =
but apologies if I've missed anything, or something's not too clear.  =
Just shout, and I'll amend accordingly.

If you wish to introduce a new DBT Style which is available for all your =
new documents, you may need to create a new Template, since the =
"Standard Format" and "Textbook Format" Templates in DBT cannot be =
modified.

To create a new Template (A), and also create a new Style (B), in this =
example to centre paragraphs in that Template, proceed as follows. =
Amending an existing Template is also covered (C).

(A)  CREATE A NEW TEMPLATE.

1)  Open a new Document, using either the Standard or Textbook Templates =
as appropriate.  Do NOT type any text into this document.

2)  Go to the Document Menu and select "Create Template".

3)  In the "Name for New Template:" text box, give your new Template a =
name, bearing in mind that Templates are displayed in Alphabetical =
Order.  Let's perhaps call it, "All Normal Work" (without the quotes".

4)  Click on O.K.

(B)  CREATE A NEW STYLE.  (This example is for a Paragraph Style which =
will center text)

1)  Go to the Document Menu and select "Add Style".

2)  In the "New Style Name" box let's call it "center." - Note that this =
is without quotes, and with a full stop at the end, which indicates that =
it is a Paragraph Style.  Click on the OK Button.  The "Edit Style =
Codes" dialog will appear.  Your cursor will be in the "Beginning =
Codes:" Text Box.

3)  Hold down the Ctrl key and press [  (That's left square bracket)  =
This tells DBT you are entering a code.

4)  Type hds and then press the Tab key.  Your cursor will move to the =
"Ending Codes:" Text Box.

5)  Hold down the Ctrl key and press [ (That's left square bracket)

6)  Type hde and press the Tab key which should move you to the OK =
button.

7)  Click on the O.K. button.

WE NOW NEED TO APPLY THIS CHANGE TO OUR NEWLY CREATED TEMPLATE.

Repeat the process as in (A) above, making sure that you give it exactly =
the same name as you did in 3.  You will be asked if you wish to replace =
the existing "Template Name" - answer Yes.

Close this document.

You will be asked if you wish to save this document.  We suggest that =
you say "Yes" since it will make it easier to make further changes at a =
later date.  If you intend perhaps creating more Templates, then you =
might in this example call it, "Template - All Work".

All being well, when you now create a new document, "All Normal Work" =
will appear at the top of the alphabetical list of Templates.

AMENDING AN EXISTING TEMPLATE.=20

(Note that you cannot amend Standard and Textbook Templates)

1) Open the Template file you created in the above example - or another =
if you have one.  (You can also simply create a new document, using the =
Template you wish to modify)

2) Add or modify Styles as required.

3) Go to the Document Menu and select "Create Template" - enter the =
exact same name as you have already for this Template, and answer Yes to =
replacing the existing Template.

FOR THE MORE ADVANCED.

Now that you know how to create a Template, there is nothing to stop you =
creating all kinds of Templates.  A letter Heading for example, where =
you could have you name and address already typed into the document.

I hope I've got this correct, so please bear with me if you find any =
errors.

George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd=20