[duxhelp] Re: How body styles are displayed in 10.5!

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:43:52 -0400

Dave,

This remains on my punch list.

From: duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 9:43 AM
To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [duxhelp] How body styles are displayed in 10.5!

Hello Beta Testers

In a previous message to this list, I pointed out how DBT 10.5 displayed the
mixture of block styles e.g. by block styles I mean styles such as
paragraph, list, outline and heading styles and codes such as the [sc], [sk]
and [lea] are displayed in coded view.

As I have pointed out earlier, in all versions of DBT prior to DBT 10.5,
block styles and format codes would be shown on the display as separate
items, e.g. where you had an end paragraph, list, outline, etc. style code
followed by a format code such as [sk], [sc] or [lea], they were displayed
as follows:

[ee~para.]
[sk1]
[es~[para.]

As you see, in the above example, you have the end block style code that
indicates, in the above example, the end of the previous paragraph, followed
on the next line by itself, the [sk1] code for skip one line
unconditionally, then on the next line there is the start block style that
indicates, in the above example, the start of the next paragraph.

However, in DBT 10.5, the codes are displayed as follows:

<para.>
[sk1]<para.>

As you see, in the above example, you have the end block style code that
indicates, in the above example, the end of the previous paragraph, followed
on the next line by the two codes [sk1] for skip one line unconditionally
and the start block style that indicates, in the above example, the start of
the next paragraph.

When using a screen-reader without a braille display, it is much clearer
when you:
(1) hear the last line of text of a paragraph, list, outline, etc., spoken
followed by the end block style code;
(2) when you press the <DOWN ARROW> key, you hear the single code or group
of format codes spoken by themselves;
(3) when you press the <DOWN ARROW> again, you hear the start block
paragraph style code spoken followed by the text of the paragraph, list,
outline, etc.

Please correct me if I am wrong, In your reply to my original message, it
was said that this problem would be corrected.  As of the latest Beta 4, it
has not.

I realize that all of you are extremely busy, dealing with a number of
issues to do with the latest version of DBT, however, it would be nice to
have DBT display codes as in the first example return to the way we have
become used to having them displayed in coded view, in versions prior to DBT
10.5.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber