[durhamyp] Group Inventory Information

  • From: Jennifer Begun <jenniferbegun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: durhamyp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:31:23 -0500

DYP Members,

Below is the actual information quoted from the AA pamphlet "The AA Group".

What is an A.A. Group
Inventory?<http://nc23.org/faqs/what-is-an-a-a-group-inventory/>

Many groups periodically hold a "group inventory meeting" to evaluate how
well they are fulfilling their primary purpose: to help alcoholics recover
through A.A.'s suggested Twelve Steps of recovery. Some groups take
inventory by examining our Twelve Traditions, one at a time, to determine
how well they are living up to these principles. The following questions,
compiled from A.A. shared experience, may be useful in arriving at an
informed group conscience. Groups will probably wish to add questions of
their own:

   1. What is the basic purpose of our group?
   2. What more can our group do to carry the message?
   3. Is our group attracting alcoholics from different backgrounds? Are we
   seeing a good cross-section of our community, including those with special
   needs?
   4. Do new members stick with us, or does the turnover seem excessive? If
   so, why? What can we as a group do to retain members?
   5. Do we emphasize the importance of sponsorship? How effectively? How
   can we do it better?
   6. Are we careful to preserve the anonymity of our group members and
   other A.A.s outside the meeting rooms? Do we also leave what they share at
   meetings behind?
   7. Does our group emphasize to all members the value of keeping up with
   the kitchen, set-up, cleanup and other housekeeping chores that are
   essential for our Twelfth Step efforts?
   8. Are all members given the opportunity to speak at meetings and to
   participate in other group activities?
   9. Mindful that holding office is a great responsibility not to be
   viewed as the outcome of a popularity contest, are we choosing our officers
   with care?
   10. Are we doing all we can to provide an attractive and accessible
   meeting place?
   11. Does our group do its fair share toward participating in the purpose
   of A.A.--as it relates to our Three Legacies of Recovery, Unity, and Service?
   12. What has our group done lately to bring the A.A. message to the
   attention of professionals in the community--the physicians, clergy, court
   officials,28 educators, and others who are often the first to see
   alcoholics in need of help?
   13. How is our group fulfilling its responsibility to the Seventh
   Tradition?

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-16_theaagroup.pdf

This link  takes you to the entire pamphlet which can be used a guide for a
lot of the information that was discussed last night including the service
positions and meeting format. It might be helpful for everyone to review
before we meet again.

The process: My experience and my sponsor's suggestion is that an outside
person comes in to facilitate the inventory so everyone can participate.
The facilitator goes through the questions one by one and group members
discuss ideas. The idea is to generate a list, no decisions are made during
the inventory. There is also a space at the end for anyone to add any
additional thoughts, suggestions or ideas. Past groups I have belonged to
have then scheduled a special business meeting just to discuss and/or vote
on what was generated from the inventory. It is also suggested that a
certain block of time is scheduled to complete, that it is not to open
ended. My sponsor has facilitated many of these so she could help us if the
group decides to pursue at this time or she help us find someone who has
experience facilitating if she is unable to assist. Feel free to email me
directly if anyone has any questions or needs more information.

 Thanks,

Jennifer Begun