[drivingpairs] Re: yoke/tongue

  • From: Don & Judy Hayes <don.l.hayes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 19:48:53 -0600

To me, a tongue is what connects a tractor to a wagon (or other implement). The
tongue probably evolved from the pole between the horses. I've never heard a
yoke refered to as a tongue. Yokes are connected to the end of the pole in
several different ways depending on the material they are made of, and the
purpose of the outfit.

I mostly use straps from collar to yoke, because that's what I have. I have
used those "Pear" shaped clips a few times. If I did CDEs, I might re-evaluate
what I use, and go to snap shackles. I have used both wood and metal poles,
with wood or metal yokes, respectively. My current carriage is a Pacific
Dartmoor with metal (drop) pole and yoke. This is the way it came, standard,
from the factory.

Don Hayes        Keep driving!
Chana, IL