[drivingpairs] yokes on dropped poles, Yankee Britching

  • From: "sterling graburn" <sterling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:20:06 -0600

              A few comments on recent postings.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that people tend to take
regular pole straps with a drop pole and yoke. This is not correct. A pole
strap made for yoke and dropped pole should be about 8" long when folded and
buckled, not much more, maybe a little less.

Lisa Singer has tended to use a style of Yankee Britching , the type that
comes from the martingale, up to the crupper and back down the other side.
Look at her marathon pictures and you may see what you are looking for
there.

When I have used collars, I put a fleece lined strap with steel rings around
the collar, then hooked the pole quick release through those rings as well
as the ring in the kidney link, just as a back up.