[drivingpairs] Re: who's driving

  • From: "Gail Smith" <gail.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:30:07 +0200

Hi Ken

I know where Texas is...unfortunately never been there but would love to
visit it oneday. I used to work for a vet from there who qualified at Texas
A&M. She was great fun and came from a cattle farm where she grew up with
quarter horses. Some people have all the luck huh! My family were never into
horses and rather just tolerated my fascination for them.

It is hard i the UK. The horse community is a tightly-knit community and
quite elite. Unless u are prepared to work like a slave people do not like
you going near there horses, let alone drive them. If you pay, of course, it
is a different story. Carriage Driving is probably less notorious for it's
attitude to those not fortunate enuf to own their own horses but you get the
odd one or two. Dick Lane drives teams here and is in my opinion a most kind
and nice man.

I did try making a debut back into horses but unfortunately the people I met
just confirmed my suspicions that I'd rather own them than work for people
who do. Altho I am sure there are some nice employors in the industry. I
just lucked out on finding some. I offered my services free of charge so
that I could learn about driving. The only condition was that the patrons
paid my way to the competitions. A lovely couple who drive a bew team of
Fressian horses replied to the positive. The horses were beautiful and the
people were nice. Inexperienced team drivers but successful in pairs. The
invited me to assit them at a competition in Scotland, along with their
groom.

It started out great but as things progressed things turned from  great to a
nightmare. Firstly, on the basis that I held a degree in Equine science it
was assumed that I knew nothing at all. With all the knowledge floating in
my head you can imagine how frustrating that was. I have been working in the
computer indutry for some years and my practical experience all came back
save the fact that i was unfit and not used to the physical labour. My first
mistake, which is an unforgiveable one is that i woke up late the first
morning we were there. However, I was not officially the groom and I had
been invited to come and 'see' if things there suited me. Unfortunately the
groom was also up late and the horses never got fed when designated. I felt
terrible but at the same time it was the current groom's responsibility in
any case. I accepted the reprimand with grace and felt one was deserved.
However, the man in question continued it like I'd committed a crime and
indsulted for the fact that I smoked and that I was irresponsible and could
never expected to be emploed with that attitude. If I'd been in his employ I
wouldhave deserved it but I was a guest and I felt the intensity of his
words disrepectful. The day went from bad to worse. They were not cometting
that day but still, the horses had to be driven out. TEam work is different
and with five horses 1 groom is insufficient and I have only had experience
with singles and pairs. They knew this but continually patronised me for my
lack of speed and knowledge about the harness and reins..........as you know
each team kits up differently and for each combined trial event different
harness is different. The first thing that caught my guard was when we drove
aout and the groom backstepping incorrectly told me that one leans against
bends when turning, like when one turns corners on a motorbike. . I told him
this was incorrect and he told me to shut up cos i knew nothing about teams.
Next we drove over a bump and I squealed in delight but not loudly enuf to
frighten the horses. I was just so happy to be on the vechicle.

The next day i was standing waiting for coffee when the owner approached me
with what i thought. I said i loved it and was very keen, especially in
learning about backstepping. He then proceeded to tell me I was to weak to
do it (as I was a woman) and that i was too fat!! and i was very unfit and
that i did not have the bottle escpecially if I screamed on the vechicle !!!
I was horrified. I told him that he had no basis onwhich to judge my courage
and that my unfiness was probably due to the fact that since college I had
been working in a office with computers and that fitness is a gradual
process. They then whent out driving and left me to muck out all five
stalls, including water, hay feed and dragging all the muck miles aways.
Then I had to clean the harness and make sure everything was tidy. I did not
mind that much but again I was a guest and not in their employ yet. So, for
the rest of the competition that was what happened. I never saw one
obstacle, walked the course or saw one dressage test. I was left to tidy up
and make ready for their return. Don't get me wrong, hard work is not what
scares me.....but i felt used.....that i was left ith all the dirty work and
got to do none of the fun stuff...or even see an obstacle on the course.
Then while i was waiting for the team to come in off the marrathon another
team came in with an injured leader, pouring with blood.. They were in need
of help so I helped them get the horses unharnessed and as the injured one
was down I felt obliged to lend a hand. Witha ll the comotion i was left
holding onto the injured leader while the rest of the team was taken care
of. Unfortunately during theis my team arrived.. As it is ' team' work the
team I helped assistaed them in unhitching etc. I was left with teh injured
horse. The driver explained to my guy what had happened and he said no
problem i should stay with the horses as his team was dealt with.

That night things turned into a nightmare. During dinner I was just about to
sit down to eat and was instructed to go muck out the horses....I had to
leave the dinner table and do this in the middle of my dinner. The groom
sitting there all smug and 'go slave girl' I know horses must be taken care
of but he was also the groom. It could have been us both doing it. Then
pride swallowed a dog from our camp got loose and attacked by a bigger one.
I ran around the whole show ground searching for a vet, which i got and the
dog was rushed to surgery. My 'boss's' wife then profusely thanked the other
groom for finding the vet!!! I was ignored. Then my 'boss' told me he did
not want me going to the bar without money because it embarrassed him. I had
told him previously that i had no moeny and was out of work. The deal had
been that i was their guest. He was embarrassed because if people offeref me
a drink i had no money to return the favour. I was a bit put out because I
actually had friends on the grounds and do not drink anyways. Then I was
asked to take one of the stallions out. I did this and led the stallion out
with a chain on his nose. As I did not know the horse I did not wanna chance
it that he got away from me. I was then reprimanded for incompetence and not
needing the chain or being able to comntrol the horse. I explained my
reasoining and was just patronised again. I got upset and left. I went to
see a friend close by. When I returned I learned that the team had
overturned in the water and the reason was the groom lent the wrong way and
overballance the carriage. The expert he was talking to comfirmed to me that
one leans into the bends and that bounding a carriage is more about velocity
and timing more than strnegth because at 600kg + no-one could lift it. It
was a small victory for me........confirming that I did actually know
something and the groom was indeed a twat!

After that i had an arguement with the man and basically told him I was well
aware of the work required with horses and that i was aware I was unfit and
belived that i had been invited as a guest to see what it was all about and
that i had made it very clear i was out of money and out of

Unfortunately i need to go for now as I am currently in South Africa and
about to fly back home to England. Whem I get there I will continue this
story for you all. Perhaps thus far you have some comments.

Thanks
Gail