[drivingpairs] tragic loss: help "Hearts for Haertlein"

  • From: "Cindy Vollers" <cvollers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:50:04 -0400

Dear Driving Friends,

 There are few of us in the driving world who do not know Barbara and
 Tricia Haertlein.  Many of us know the Haertleins through the many driving
 events that they have contributed so much of their time, effort and
 unflagging energy to.   Others know them from reading so many informative
 posts on the CD-L list.  Perhaps we know them from reading magazine
 articles or editorials they have written about driving. You could have
 talked with them at one of the many educational programs about driving
 that they have organized, contributed to, or managed over the years.
 Their list of contributions to the driving world is endless.  They are
 truly two of the "Good Guys".

 On Wednesday, October 20th, there was a tragic barn fire in Ringoes, New
 Jersey.  Three horses were lost, including Ned, the Haertleins' dear
 friend and family member.  Alex, their other horse, was injured in the
 fire, having jumped out of the back window of the barn to escape.  Alex
 suffers from burns,  but his biggest injury is to his eyes.   As told to
 us in an email, the Haertleins will not know the full idea of the damage
 to Alex's eye until the swelling goes down, which they are not rushing,
 since the swelling is helping keep the eyes closed and moist to heal.
 Also lost in the fire were their two new carriages, harness, saddles and
 all their other incidental horse equipment that we all keep in our barns.

 When one hears of something like this, one's first reaction ( after
 kissing our horses and then checking our barns for fire hazards) is to
 wonder what can we do to help? So a few of us have taken the liberty of
 starting an account to help the Haertleins with the expenses of this
 tragedy, the vet bills from Alex, for replacement of equipment, and then,
 after the pain wears off, replacement of Ned.  If you would like to
 contribute a monetary donation, you can send your checks directly to
 "Hearts for Haertlein", c/o Skylands Bank, P.O. Box 17 , Baptistown, NJ
 08803.  If you would like to help out in any other way, please feel free
 to contact one of us, or Michelle McBride.  We would also be happy to
 forward your letters and cards to them, or you can feel free to send your
 well wishes to them directly at 3 Lynnwood Drive, Lebanon, NJ 08833.

 May our thoughts and love be with the Haertleins and may your horses be
 safe and happy.

 Amie Bauman, Joan Mott, Cindy Vollers, Sherri Dolan and Mary Mott-Kocsis

 Hearts for Haertlein
 c/o P.O. Box 164
 Baptistown, NJ 08803