[drivingpairs] to shoe or not to shoe

  • From: "Helen Roeder" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:43:30 -0600

When I moved here(to North Texas), a little over five years ago, I pulled all
the horse shoes.   But the soil here is wonderful sandy loam.   It's amazing
what going natural will do for their hooves, given good food and a good hoof
supplement.   Of course, I realize it depends on the individual horse, too.
Mine all have very good feet...at least the ones I've had for a while.     One
mare that had an accident early in life,   which cut through the coronet band,
now grows hoof almost all the way to the ground.   For years, when I had shoes
on her, it never would grow out solid, to the ground.
I started using Easy Boots back in the early 90s, and my horsey friends thought
I was daft.  Now there are  several choices of non-metal horse shoes.   And
there's a whole new group of horse people who are letting their horses go
natural.    I know some are on this list.  Hopefully, one or two will chime in
on their experiences.   I personally have seen a lot of damage to horse hooves
created by the traditional metal horse shoes.

I discovered an excellent supplement, and I know this sounds like a commercial,
but it isn't.   I used to buy it from my then farrier, but fired him for being
abusive.   So I had to find another source, and never could.    It took me a
while, but I found the manufacturer and my order is waiting at the post office
to be picked up.     I can't say enough good things about this product and will
share the name and address if anyone is interested.

Helen