[drivingpairs] Re: tandem questions

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:46:08 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/2006 11:51:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Subject: [drivingpairs] tandem question
Okay, back to multiple driving stuff now.

So I have a few questions. First of all, the only single vehicle that I have
right now is a Wilform jog cart (with a floor). It has a seat for two, but
itâ??s not very roomy. The horses love it because itâ??s light as a feather. .
Should I try to
borrow a more traditional cart for these two classes or should I not worry
about it since itâ??s only a little show anyway?, I may be partially insane
but not totally. I just thought it might be educational for the spectators
to see a tandem. Our announcer is always a good sport about explaining
things.

GO FOR IT!!  The Wilform will work, but its a heck of alot easier to drive
tandem from a taller vehicle.  I've got a jog cart and drive tandem around the
neighborhood, but I prefere my taller cart.  The lines are easier to handle
when they come UP from the rein terrets and not DOWN along the butt.

Second question: Iâ??m trying to decide if I should practice one-handed or
two-handed driving more.

I personall prefer one handed, however my ring finger falls asleep as the
reins press on a nerve.  I would practice both ways so as to become comfortable

and profecient either way.
.

Third question: In a pleasure driving class, is your groom allowed to
dismount and head the leader in the line-up? If so, should they be back in
the carriage when the judge comes along and asks for a rein-back?

The groom should stay on the ground and only remount when the vehicle is
ready to pull out of the line-up.  The groom should also not handle the leader
unless needed.  They should stand back from the leader at least an arm's length
(3-5').

The bug has definitely bitten me.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rachel Eldred