[drivingpairs] tandem answers

  • From: "Sterling Graburn" <phailo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:15:49 -0600

Ansley,
I am making the assumption that what you are calling the short trace I call
the hame tug. My concern with the ring on the hame is that it is directly
pulling against the hame and could pull it off the collar, rather than
having the tandem key or buckle which allows for some give/movement when
attached at the buckle end of the short tug. Also, correctly, the hames for
a single or tandem would have a chain at the bottom, or in some cases a
special kidney link with hooks on each end and a "D" in the middle. The
chains have a special link in the center with a martingale ring attached.
For Safety, in any case, I would go around the collar and through the
ring/"D"/leather strap as well. Tandem keys are not that hard to find, I
would get a set and then you have them anyway. As for clamps, they are nice
in many circumstances. If you are doing long drives, setting rein clamps can
take some of the fatigue off your hand by allowing a mmore relaxed grip when
you are not as worried about the reins slipping out of adjustment. I have
Beta reins, Zilco reins and leather reins and I have no problems with any of
them, and I have used clamps or buckles with all of them at one time or
another. Especially for hazard driving it is nice to have the reins buckled
so you don't have to worry about them slipping while you go galloping
through a hazard. In that circumstance, I much prefer buckles to clamps. I
have had the clamps slip in hazards; very disconcerting.
Sterling

>     First I am the proud owner of a beautiful Camptown Tandem Harness.
Thanks so much Dave!! I opted for Beta lines, do any of you foresee a
problem with using Beta instead of leather. I am using neck collars and had
a couple of questions. First , I don't have tandem keys or a tandem buckle
on my wheelers harness. The hames maker put a large SS ring at the edge of
the steeple draft where it connects to the short trace strap normally (feel
free to correct me here) the leader would hook into the wheeler at the
buckle of the short trace. Now where I would be hooking in is on the hames
juncture closer to the collar rather than the buckle. I can't find this set
up anywhere else, so is this going to be a problem. I know with the leader
out of draft it won't but what will happen when the leader is in draft The
ring itself is solid and does not interfere with the function of the hames
or  where it connects with the short trace and is joined into the SS metal
part not leather of the h
>  ames not the leather part.
>     I do have a false martingale for the wheeler. Does this have to be
hooked onto a kidney link as part of the hames or can it just be hooked into
the leather hames strap at the bottom of the collar?
> Thanks for your help!!
>
> Ansley
>     Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using rein
clips while driving four-inhands and tandems.